Thursday, December 30, 2010

Magformers toys

My son, who is almost 6 years old, received a set of Magformers for Christmas from an uncle. Charlie opened the box and immediately started playing with it. They kept him occupied for almost an hour which is unusual for him (unless he is playing with Hot Wheels).  Charlie even got them out and played with them the next morning! I have to admit they are super cool and I played with him for a bit.



My brother-in-law bought this set at Learning Express Toys but you can also order from Amazon.



Our Mag XL 30 piece set is bright blue and yellow but it comes in other colors as well. There are 18 squares and 12 triangles in this set which is enough to build some basic shapes. There are quite a few different sets that can also be purchased to add on and expand building possibilities. There are even vehicle sets that include wheels!


 
According to the maker, Rainbow Products, the magnets used are super powerful and use intelligent magnet technology, a fancy way of saying they always connect and never reject.  In 2007 the Mag XL Magformers won an Oppenheimer Toy Portfolio Platinum Best Toy Award. This toy is intended for ages 5 to adult.




The Good:
Charlie played with them for an hour. The magnets stick together even when picked up. The bright blue and bright yellow are fun cool colors. Other color combinations are available as well. There are quite a few different building sets available, including sets with wheels for building vehicles. The 2 different shapes allow for all sorts of creative and imaginative building play. He's played with them every day since Christmas.


The Bad:
This isn't a real bad thing but the magnets are super strong. Charlie did have some trouble separating them when they were stacked on top of each other. Heck I did too. Also since the magnets are super strong I recommend you keep them far away from some electronics or anything that can be affected by them.


The Ugly:
Nothing that I can see.


I recommend these toys as a future birthday or Christmas gift for a boy or girl you know.


Elizabeth

{Disclosure: I have not been given anything from Rainbow Products or compensated in any way. I'm just impressed with the product that my son received as a Christmas gift from his uncle.}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. You totally made my day, heck, my week even!